February 22, 2007

Newbie crash and burn

Being a newbie at submitting and the publishing world........I'm a bit naive. Well, I have to tell you the truth, I'm always naive, lol. It's that rose-colored glasses syndrome. Always had it. And no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to shake the nasty buggers off. I was so excited earlier today, wanna know why?

I was offered representation by what I thought was a reputable literary agency. Following the urgings and advice of family and friends, I googled the company and checked the BBB for information regarding the agency and what I found really stunk.

The agency that offered to represent me is on Writer's Beware 20 Worst Agencies List. And here I was, eagerly anticipating the arrival of a contract for two of my children's books, which I would've happily and hastily signed had I not had the help of my wonderful aunt who is always supportive but at the same time my voice of reason. She knows how easily I fly off on whims and how much I fly by the seat of my pants in pretty much everything I do, rofl.

Out of respect and politeness, I'm not going to name the company, that would just be rude. Now I have to figure out what to email back when they send the contract. Because being as irrational as I tend to be, I told them to send it. I'll figure it out, I always do.

So, Lesson #1 learned: NEVER get excited or sign anything until you research the company. Got lots more to learn........

No comments: